The ornamental Fish and Fish Tank industry have a very fast growth these days. Every person today has been attracted to these fish tanks by the beauty made by the Aquarists on them.
Not only these different types and colors of fish have made this beautiful but also the Aquarium plants have made a difference to these Tanks up to a great extent.
One such gorgeous-looking decorative plant added to these Aquariums is the Riccia Moss plant.
Riccia Moss or the Riccia fluitans is a plant introduced by a Japanese aquarist. This is a green-colored plant that grows around 03 to 05 cm in height.
Table of Contents
- How to get rid of snails in Riccia Moss?
- How to get snails out of Riccia Moss?
- Can Snails live with Riccia Moss?
- Do snails eat Riccia Moss?
- Do all types of snails eat Riccia Moss?
- Will Snails eat dead Riccia Moss?
This plant has very fast growth and is also easy to be taken care of in the tank.
How to get rid of snails in Riccia Moss?
When adding other Aquatic plants into your tank see that there are no snails in these plants. You can quarantine or bleach dip these plants before adding these plants into the tank.
Make a regular cleaning of the tank so that there is a water change regularly and also see that you remove all the Algae within the walls inside the tank which will help you to reduce the snails in the tank.
How to get snails out of Riccia Moss?
Add creatures like Loaches or the Pufferfish which eat the Snails. Also, you can manually remove these animals out of the tank which is another helpful method to get rid of the Snails in the Riccia Moss Tank.
And a regular cleaning of the tank will also help to get snails out of the Riccia Moss.
Can Snails live with Riccia Moss?
There are certain types of snails that are added to the tank intentionally to add color to the tank and provide certain other benefits to the tank. These snails can live in peace and harmony with the Riccia Moss in your tank.
Do snails eat Riccia Moss?
Yes, there are certain types of snails that feed on the Riccia Moss in your tank such as,
- Pond Snails- Pond Snails are a type of herbivorous Snails. These Snails are identified as ones that feed on Aquatic plants and decays in the tank or pond. So if these Snails are added to your Riccia Moss tank that will make an effect on your Riccia Mosses. If these types of Snails are added to the tank make sure to keep these Snails out of the reach from your Riccia Moss and the other Aquatic plants in your tank.
- Apple Snails – Another type of Snail which might make an effect on the Riccia Moss and the other Aquatic life in your tank are the Apple Snails. Apple Snails have also planted eaters and they use a wide variety of plants as their food. They feed on the plant either be it alive or dead.
- Ramshorn Snails – Identified as a freshwater animal, the Ramshorn Snail as well as the pond snail and the Apple Snail is also a plant-eater. Other than plants these Snails feed on fish food as well. This Animal is most commonly not used by Aquarists if they have live plants growing with them in their tank.
So if you are preferring of adding these Snails to your tank with Riccia Moss in it, it should be seen that these animals are well-fed and use other precautionary measures to keep these animals out of the reach of your Riccia Moss.
Do all types of snails eat Riccia Moss?
Not all types of snails feed on the Riccia Moss. There are certain plant eater snails that will feed on the Riccia Moss in the tank. Other snails even though they feed on the Riccia Moss, it will only be a small nibble which will not affect the Moss.
Will Snails eat dead Riccia Moss?
Yes, there are certain snails that will feed both on the live plants and the dead Riccia Moss in your tank.
A Riccia Moss plant is a perfect addition to any type of tank. But should be given the proper care. Animals like snails, not all types of snails but some will harm the Riccia Moss.
So it should be seen that your Riccia Moss tank is properly managed and unwanted animals such as snails are regularly removed from the tank.